North Stonington, CT
Board of Finance
Minutes of Regular Meeting
May 28, 2008
North Stonington New Town Hall
1. Call to Order: Chairman M. Donahue called the meeting to order
at 8:00 PM; members E. Pavlovics, N. Gumprecht and G. Herbert were
present. Secretary T. Oswald and Vice Chairman L. Southwick were not
2. Public Comments and Questions: None.
3. Previous Minutes: G. Herbert made a motion to approve the
minutes of the regular meeting of May 14, 2008 as amended. N. Gumprecht
seconded the motion, which carried 4-0-0.
4. BOS: Financial Reports: N. Mullane, First Selectman, reported
that an outstanding tax refund of $4,535 needs to come to the Board for
approval at the next meeting. Also, there are $5,579 remaining in the
attorney account, which may be sufficient for the remainder of the
fiscal year. It is expected that about $3,500 of fees may be coming due
this last month. In addition, another Town Meeting will be required
before the end of the fiscal year to authorize fund designations in
5. BOE: Financial Reports: None.
6. Budget/Budget Spreadsheet: The General Government and Education
portions of the budget (Questions 1 and 2), as detailed in Corrected
Rev. D of the Budget Spreadsheet passed by referendum on May 27, 2008.
Question 3 pertaining to acquisition of the Hewitt/Seaport property was
removed by the Board of Selectmen from the referendum pending further
clarification by the Board of Selectmen. The Selectmen intend to bring
the question of acquiring the property back to referendum as soon as
possible. Referendum Question 4 pertaining to a donation for the North
Stonington Little League did not pass.
7. Setting of Mill Rate: After setting the mill rate, the Board
must issue a letter to the Tax Collector, with copy to the Assessor and
the Board of Selectmen, indicating what the tax rate will be and
identifying the amount the tax rate would be without the state aid
provided to the Town.
G. Herbert made a motion to set the property tax mill rate for the North
Stonington 2008-2009 budget at 19.50 mills. E. Pavlovics seconded the
motion, which carried 4-0-0.
8. Appointment of Assessor: G. Herbert notified the Assessor that
the performance assessment process is starting. Need to confirm if B.
Woodward has last year's performance review.
9. Management Reports/Board of Finance as Audit Committee/GASB 45
OPEB: No update.
10. Board of Finance Goals: Some initial thoughts for 2008/09 goals
a. Revise and improve the front page of the budget spreadsheet for
next year and determine use of Schedule D
b. Establish storage for BOF files
c. Obtain relevant reference material
d. Review the 10 year capital plan
e. Improve the BOF
f. Evaluate applicability of Results Based Accountability to North
g. Obtain wireless access for BOF meetings
11. Budget Website/Communications: No update.
12. Correspondence: None.
13. Results Based Accountability: Rep. Urban is reviewing schedule
availability with her staff following the end of the legislative
14. Future Agenda Items Identification: Tax refund; Capital
15. Adjournment: G. Herbert motioned to adjourn. N. Gumprecht
seconded and the motion carried 4-0-0. The meeting adjourned at 9:05 PM.
Mark S. Donahue
Board of Finance Approved: 6/4/08