Named in 1724 for the stony character of the hilly countryside, North Stonington was incorporated in 1807. Farms, mills, tanneries, iron works and cottage weaving contributed to a prosperous and renowned mercantile center in the 1800s. Changing times have left dairy farming the principal industry. North Stonington includes the settlements of Clarks Falls, Laurel Glen, Pendleton Hill, Ashwillet and the village of North Stonington, formerly known as "Milltown" and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Roots of North Stonington date back to the early settlement of the Town of Stonington in 1649. Originally under the jurisdiction of the Massachusetts colony, the area became part of Connecticut when Governor Winthrop obtained a new Charter for Connecticut from King Charles II in 1662.
In April of 1806, the Town of Stonington voted to separate into two separate towns based on ancient Congregational Church parishes.
The original North Stonington was named Jefferson until the General Assembly decided on the current name. The township of North Stonington contained numerous districts and settlements, each with its own character, schools, post offices, churches, and stores. Early 1800's industries featured gristmills, sawmills, fulling mills, a cotton mill, and a woolen mill which were powered by the Shunock and Assekonk Rivers.
By 1840, more residences, a tannery, and a trip hammer (iron works) were located in the Milltown section of Town. Woolen goods were the Town's major products through the mid 19th century, however, fine silk and satin clothes, fur muffs, satin hats, fine wools, thread lace, English carpets, and china tea sets became noted North Stonington merchandise.
The Civil War and the industrial revolution ended the Town's cottage industries, and the Town became primarily agricultural, a character it retains to this day.