MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION PROCESS
The following is the information you will need in order to obtain a marriage license:
- A marriage application which is available in the Town Clerk’s office or the web site, you must apply for the marriage license in the Town where the ceremony takes place.
- A current photo identification (a driver’s license, or a passport)
- If you are not a U.S. Citizen, some other official government photo identification
- Both the Bride and Groom must appear in the Town Clerk’s office when applying for the license in order to take their oaths.
- The fee for a marriage license is $30.00, payable at the time of application. We do not take credit or debit cards or out-of-state checks as payment, cash or money orders only.
- The marriage license is only valid for 65 days from the date of the application to the date of the marriage.
- Please provide the name and number of the person performing the ceremony or the religious facility where the marriage will be held.
- The original certificate becomes permanent record in the Town where the ceremony takes place; a certified copy can be requested via mail or in person for a fee of $20.00.
- Applicants under 18 years of age, must have a consent form signed by a parent or guardian
- If the applicants are under 16 years of age, the North Stonington Judge of Probate must award consent for marriages performed in North Stonington.
If you have any other question, please feel free to contact the Town Clerk’s Off at (860)535-2877 ext. 21